The Importance of Worming Dogs: Bagel the Puppy's Story
When Bagel the dapple dachshund started vomiting worms, it was clear that something was very wrong.
Bagel’s owners had recently bought her from a seemingly reputable breeder, who initially came across as extremely caring and attentive.
They had reassured Bagel’s owners that they had given her all the proper medical care and that she was in tip-top shape.
However, only a couple of days after bringing her home, Bagel became critically ill.
Read on to learn all about the importance of worming dogs, and to find out how the team saved Bagel's life.
Although Bagel had initially seemed fine, only a few days after coming home, she stopped eating and drinking. Soon after, she began vomiting up worms.
Concerned, Bagel’s owners contacted the surgery for advice and were given an appointment the same day.
Dr Jo examined Bagel and gave her wormers, anti-sickness medication and rehydration support. Conscious of the risk of complications from what was clearly a heavy worm infection, Bagel was asked to return the following day.
The next day, Bagel returned to the clinic.
She had deteriorated overnight and had become very dehydrated. The Roundwood team rushed to help Bagel, who was now going into shock.
Bagel was so dehydrated that the team could not access her veins to give her the essential fluids she needed. She received intensive nursing from the team who managed to inject the fluids under her skin and give her oral glucose to raise her blood sugar levels.
Alongside gently warming her body, the team's efforts slowly brought Bagel of shock- but she wasn’t out of the woods yet!
After successfully reviving Bagel, the team transferred her to the practices emergency provider for overnight intensive care where she continued to receive fluids and treatment.
Although Bagel’s owners were told that she only had a 50% chance of survival, thanks to the quick action of the team and her new owner, Bagel was able to make a full recovery.
The Importance of Worming Dogs
Although Bagel’s life-threatening experience had a happy ending, this could have been avoided if she and her mother had been wormed as the breeder implied.
If worms are left untreated, the infestation can cause life-threatening anaemia and damage to the pet's organs, leading to the loss of consciousness and even death.
Luckily, this can be easily avoided.
Puppies need to be wormed at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks. Thereafter, they should be wormed every month until the puppy is 6-months old. From then on, it should be every 3 months.
Pregnant dogs should also be wormed regularly. Bagel’s mum should have been wormed from day 40 of her pregnancy and for 2 days thereafter.
On top of the stress and trauma caused by this experience, the veterinary treatment costs were in excess of £500.00.
Worming her correctly from a puppy to 8-12 weeks of age would have cost around £20.00 and would have prevented this from happening.
Buying Puppies in Lockdown
‘Buying any pet from an unknown source is always a risk, one that has increased over lockdown as the rise in demand for puppies and kittens has encouraged some people to sell them to make a profit, risking the welfare of the animals.’ says Nikki, our Head Nurse and Practice Manager.
‘We have seen a big increase in puppies and kittens that have been brought online and sold when they are very ill or simply not old enough to leave their mum.’
‘It is a deadly trade and one that could be avoided by using rescues, doing your research and using reputable breeders.’
You can check out Bagel's progress on her very own Instagram page @sausage_bagel_ and follow us @Roundwoodvets to stay up to date with events at our practice.
Got a new puppy in lockdown? Check out our article on how to properly socialise them here.